What We Do
Providing aid to the diabetes epidemic in Fiji by offering health education, prosthetics, and group support to the local tribes to help them enhance their quality life for themselves and the future children.
Some Quick Facts About Diabetes In Fiji
- 76,130 Fijians suffer from some form of diabetes
- One diabetic amputation is performed by doctors every 12.6 hours in Fiji
- 40% of people in Fiji have diabetes
- About 46,000 people in Fiji are living with Type II diabetes
- Surgeons performed 693 amputations in 2010
“ONE IN SIX PEOPLE BETWEEN 25 AND 64 YEARS OF AGE IN THE COUNTRY ARE DIABETIC. THIS MEANS THAT 76,130 FIJIANS SUFFER FROM SOME FORM OF DIABETES.”
DR. JOE KOROIVUETA
Diabetes is expected to double in Fiji by 2030. Thus, focusing solely on the consequences of diabetes including amputation is not an option. Prevention has to start immediately.
Plan Of Action
Primary prevention of diabetes: This involves actually preventing diabetes in the first place, so that in years to come we will have less prosthetics to fit and amputees to serve.
Secondary prevention of diabetes: This involves preventing the complications of diabetes, including most importantly to us, loss of limb. Most of secondary prevention of diabetes will involve identifying current diabetics and helping them to care for their blood sugars and feet.
Our mission at Own2feet is to assist in the unique challenges that medically underserved amputees in the region of the South Pacific face, including: fitting and fabrication of prosthesis; education regarding prosthesis care; and smooth transition for the social, psychological and economic issues associated with life as an amputee. Our secondary aim is to prevent amputation, which in the South Pacific involves diabetic testing, diabetic education and lower limb care.
Through partnering with government, local organizations, and villages, we can inspire change… one step at a time.
At Own2Feet, we feel our 5 core values are the pillars for our success.
- Authenticity: At Own2Feet we surround ourselves with authentic, passionate people with a desire to help.
- Prevention: By focusing on prevention, we feel our time, money, and resources are optimized towards the best possible results.
- Education: Education is important because it provides sustainability and improvement in conditions even when Own2feet might not be physically present.
- Empowerment: We believe that the inspiration for change comes from personal, communal and collective empowerment
- Independence: We strive to make the communities and people we effect independent through our efforts.